Book Group 2
Co-ordinator: Monica Beswick
Tel: 01565 651515
We meet on the third Thursday of the month at 10.30. The venues are member’s houses. Books are democratically chosen by the members, and we try and have a good mix of classics and modern fiction, along with a sample of member’s favourites. We are at full strength at the moment.
We discuss plot, characters, ideas, writing. Is the book a classic? Is it likely to become a classic? Our group is very articulate and the discussions are interesting and stimulating and we are all now confident enough to express our opinion, even when it differs from everyone else’s. The most disliked books provoke the most discussion and that also applies to the most disliked characters.
Recent titles we have read have included:
- The Children Act by Ian McEwan
- The Little Friend by Donna Tartt
- The Narrow Road to the Deep North by Richard Flanagan
- Dinner at the Homesick Restaurant by Anne Tyler
- The Age of Innocence by Edith Wharton
- Germinal by Emile Zola
- The Tenderness of Wolves by Steff Penney
- Hotel Du Lac by Anita Brookner
- The House by the Dvina by Eugenie Fraser
- All Passion Spent by Vita Sackville West
- The Silence of the Girls by Pat Barker.
For further details please contact Monica Beswick on 01565 651515.