Family and Social History Group
Co-ordinator: Andrea Lord
Tel: 01565 872295
The Family History Group has revised the name of our Group to be ‘Family and Social History’ as that more accurately reflects what we do. We plan to continue providing a range of interesting topics, rather than a course in how to do family history, as that is covered by the Family History Society of Cheshire at Mobberley. Ours is not a genealogy group, we are interested in how our ancestors lived, not only recording names and dates. We very much welcome new members to our friendly group. Please contact the Co-ordinator Andrea Lord on 01565 872295, to find out more. We meet at 2pm each second Friday in the month, in room 4 of the Methodist Church.
Knutsford U3A Family & Social History Group
- 9th March 2018 - “What our ancestors did and where?” We all come from different backgrounds and places. So can we each give a MAXIMUM 5 minute chat about where our family originated from, what they did and how have we each come to be living in Cheshire. A few months ago, this format worked brilliantly when we each spoke briefly about a female ancestor. If anyone just wants to listen that’s fine.
- 13th April 2018 - “The Welsh Builders of Liverpool.” In the 19th century many people came to Liverpool from North Wales, and a number became very successful builders. Christine’s Grandfather was one of them, and she’ll give us a sketch of his life from poverty to considerable wealth.
- 11th May 2018 - “1939 Register” and “Evacuation”. Tricia has found the relatively recent release of this register to have been very helpful in her research. She will give us a brief guide. Also, in 1939 many young children were evacuated from large cities. Margaret Gott was one of them. She will share her memories of this with us.
- 8th June 2018 - “Victorian/Edwardian Social Media.” A hundred years ago people communicated differently to today. Letters & postcards were common. Most of us will have some examples of these, which it would be good to share with other members. I can take copies for showing on the screen if required.
- 13th July 2018 - “The ships that carried our ancestors.”
- 10th August 2018 - Summer holiday.
- 14th September 2018 - Summer holiday. But we will again take a table at the member’s meeting with the aim of recruiting new members.
Contacts:- Andrea Lord 01565 872295
Allan Jones 01565 633435