PROGRAMME OF OUTINGS, VISITS AND HOLIDAYS
Following the successful visits arranged in previous years, an extended programme of visits is being offered during 2016, with transport arranged for Knutsford U3A members. Details and booking arrangements will appear on this page of the website, also in the Newsletter, and will be announced at the monthly General Meetings.
BOOKINGS FOR OUTINGS – Clarification of Procedure
- Unless otherwise stated, all bookings must be accompanied by a bookings form and a cheque made payable to Knutsford U3A. Please write the name of the performance or outing on the back of the cheque.
- We will contact you only if your booking has not been successful. If you want confirmation that you have the places you want, please enclose a stamped addressed envelope. Usually your cheque will not be paid in until two weeks before the event.
- If an outing if fully booked when we receive your cheque you will be informed and placed on the waiting list.
- Priority will be given to U3A members. If you would like to bring someone who is not a member please put a note on the booking form to this effect and we will inform you if a place becomes available.
- We hope to take bookings for the current outing at our general meetings but, as our outings are proving very popular we cannot guarantee the availability at the time of the meeting. In other words please book early to be sure of a place!
For booking forms, which can be printed off, click here.
The outings subcommittee hope you like the outings we plan. Please contact Tim Donelly on 01565 633569 or email firstname.lastname@example.org if you have any ideas or suggestions for future outings.
A FULL DAY’S VISIT TO TWO INTERESTING MUSEUMS
Monday, October 9th
We will depart from the Bus Station at 9.00 am and the cost for the whole day, including museum tours, your lunch and transport is £24.00
In the morning we are visiting The People’s History Museum in Spinningfields, Manchester where we will have a guided tour and then our lunch. After lunch we go to The Jewish Museum in Cheetham Hill.
The People’s History Museum defines itself as the National Museum of Democracy. First opening in Manchester in 1980s, it received significant funding and reopened in its new modern building in 2010. It holds the largest collection of political material in Britain and a hugely varied range of objects. The core of the collection covers the fight for the vote from the early 19th century through to the suffragettes and the lowering of the age range for the vote to 18 in 1969. They have a collection of political banners which is the largest in the world and a huge collection of political posters ….. and more!
In the afternoon we have a much requested repeat visit to the Jewish Museum, which occupies a former large Spanish Synagogue on Cheetham Hill – a Grade II listed building. After the synagogue closed due to the migration of people away from the area it re-opened as a museum in 1984, telling the story of the history of Jewish settlement in Manchester and its community over the last 200 years. We will have an introductory talk before viewing the Museum’s fascinating collection.
We should return to the bus station by 4.30 pm.
Please send a completed booking form, with your cheque made out to Knutsford U3A, to Mrs Fran Cogger, 71 Parkgate, Knutsford, WA16 8HF. Tel. 01565 228503
Visit to the MANCHESTER CHRISTMAS MARKETS
Wednesday 6th December 2017
Depart Knutsford bus station – 10am Leave Manchester to return – 3pm
Cost £6 for return journey only. No refreshments.
Start your Christmas shopping here! Reputedly the biggest and best of its kind in the country, the Manchester Christmas Markets are the ideal destination for a festive outing. International food, drink and crafted Christmas gifts will be available to enjoy as well as the usual shops and restaurants in the area. The main hub will be, as usual, in Albert Square.
To book a seat on the bus send the completed form and a cheque for £6 per person made out to Knutsford U3A to Barbara Brady at The Paddocks, Chelford Road, Knutsford, WA16 8RD. Tel 01565 653764.
Bookings will also be taken at the October Members’ Meeting.
Dates for your Diary
Friday, November 17th at 2:30 pm – A concert given by students of Chetham’s School of Music will be held in Knutsford Methodist Church.
Tickets will cost £5 and will be on sale at the October members’ meeting.
For reviews of the visits to the JCB Factory at Rocester, and the Morgan Factory at Malvern, October 2014, see the Reviews of Group Events, Outings and Visits
For photos of the Hebridean Holiday, May 2017, click on Hebridean Holiday Photos
For photos from the visit to Highgrove, August 2017, click on Highgrove Visit Photos
For a review and photos of the visit to Birmingham, September 2017, see the Reviews of Group Events, Outings and Visits