To research and book a speaker for each of the 11 monthly meetings (there is no meeting in August)
- Keep the Chair, newsletter editor, Web-site Manager and Technical Support advised of the speakers for the next 3 months
- Maintain a list of potential speakers
- Liaise with others for publicity purposes, both internal and external
- Maintain an overview sheet for each year – recording name of speaker, title, technical requirements and agreed fees and expenses
- Maintain an overview for the year ahead – details of technical requirements, fees, any charity involvement, name of speaker. Dates of talk. Circulate this to all Committee, Technical Support and Web-site. Keep updated.
- Occasionally ask an audience member to write a very short review piece for the web-site.
Manage a Booking
- Make the initial contact with a speaker, detailing the requirements for the U3A. Needs to be several months in advance, possibly a year ahead.
- Confirm the details in email with the speaker:
- Title of the speaker
- Phone number of the speaker and exchange mobile numbers if possible
- Title of the talk (sometimes not available at the time of the initial booking)
- Length of the talk – 45-50 mins
- Date – although always the second Thursday of the month at 2:15 pm in Knutsford Methodist Church
- Technical requirements – check these are compatible with our requirements.
- Fee – all cheques are personal even if subsequently destined for charitable donations
- Travel expenses – not always required.
- Obtain short biographical notes for later publicity – can be nearer the date of the talk.
- One month before the talk email or phone the speaker and check all details.
- A couple of days before the talk phone the speaker.
- About two weeks prior to the talk email Knutsford Guardian What’s On with an announcement.
- The weekend before the talk email the Knutsford U3A Membership with a reminder of the talk and brief biographical details of the speaker.